The truth behind joining a fraternity or sorority

Kristen Traynor

All you need to know about going Greek

If students are planning to join a social sorority or fraternity this fall, there are a few things they should know. The Greek system at Kent State is separated into three separate entities: Black Greek Council, Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council.

Panhellenic Council

The Panhellenic Council sororities have the most formal recruitment process of the three groups.

The Panhellenic Council includes six separate sororities, and it has a Facebook application that includes forms and information for interested applicants at http://panhellenicfacebook.com.

Women interested in joining a sorority can enroll in recruitment information nights Aug. 26 through Aug. 28. On the first day, information will be given on philanthropies and financial costs for each sorority.

“The cost is a big jump from sorority to sorority,” said Whitney Baker, president of Panhellenic Council.

At this point, recruits, called “potential new members,” will choose four sororities they think fit them best. The next day potential new members will spend time with each of the four sororities and pick two at the end of the day, listing their first and second choice.

The sororities will then list their choices, and recruits will be placed into a sorority with an announcement at Bid Night on Aug. 28. After this, the process toward initiation usually takes six to eight weeks, Baker said. Sorority members must have at least a 2.5 GPA.

Black Greek Council

Black Greek Council’s recruitment is a little less formal, said Della Marie Marshall, adviser of BGC and associate director of the Center for Student Involvement.

The regional director for each organization within the council tells the chapter how many recruits it can take each semester, depending on the number of members in the chapter. Most recruitment for BGC takes place in the spring, but some is done in the fall. The council includes three male groups and two female groups.

“Each group handles their own process,” Marshall said.

Marshall said anyone interested in joining should approach a group member or president to find out when the meeting for new members will be. Each group only has one meeting, so if people miss it, they may miss out for a whole year. However, the groups do advertise using avenues such as Facebook and fliers.

The Interfraternity Council

The Interfraternity Council is the least formal in its recruiting process, but the group is working to make the procedure more formal with this year’s open house events, said Amy Davis, graduate assistant in the Center for Student Involvement.

Usually, those interested in joining a fraternity would have to find a fraternity member or be approached by one in order to become a member, but this year, the group is experimenting with open houses, such as those in the TV show “Greek.” Unlike the show’s open houses, however, Kent State’s will be alcohol-free.

Davis said when students join a fraternity or sorority, they’re much more connected to the campus and the community, and they’re more likely to stay at Kent State and do well in school.

“It’s supposed to be your home away from home,” Baker said. “Sorority life kept me here. I wouldn’t trade it for the world.”

Contact principal reporter Kristen Traynor at [email protected].