Andrews takes over new role as interim executive dean for regional campuses

Rebecca Odell

Gregory Andrews assumed his position as interim executive dean for regional campuses yesterday following the retirement of Shirley Barton.

Barton worked for Kent for 32 years and had served as executive dean for regional campuses since 2001.

Andrews has served as dean of the Tuscarawas campus for 14 years. He was director of special programs and continuing studies and taught courses at the Stark campus before he was appointed dean in 1995.

Provost Robert Frank, who named Andrews interim executive dean on June 6, said he gained insight from key groups such as the regional campus deans and faculty to find the perfect candidate for the position.

They chose Andrews because he is widely respected and has extensive experience as dean of Tuscarawas campus, Frank said.

“He was almost a unanimous selection for the role,” Frank said.

Andrews said he will remain dean of Tuscarawas after he begins his new position as interim executive dean for regional campuses. He said an interim position is filled on a temporary basis and can be held for up to two years.

The responsibilities of the interim executive dean for regional campuses include coordinating system issues for the campuses and designing a more efficient management system to integrate existing functions into the provost office and the regional campuses, Frank said.

Gay Lindsay, assistant to the executive dean for regional campuses, said Andrews will excel in his position because he understands how the regional campuses operate.

“He has worked carefully with Dean Barton and knows what is involved in this leadership responsibility,” Lindsay said. “I’m looking forward to working with him.”

The regional campuses are an important component in the Kent State system, and the branches will continue to see expanded opportunities for their respective communities, Andrews said.

“I am confident that we will have plenty to do,” Andrews said.

Contact regional campuses reporter Rebecca Odell at [email protected].