Programming format changes with switch to USG

Katie Garland

In the spring semester, when Undergraduate Student Senate changed into Undergraduate Student Government, the programming for student events also changed.

USG will now have a director of programming who will be in charge of planning events that used to be planned by the All-Campus Programming Board.

“The focus is going to be four to five big events, rather than smaller events,” USG Executive Director Jonathan Bey said.

ACPB used to receive 54 percent of the student activities fee, minus fixed costs, to plan events for students.

Now USG and its programming board will receive the 54 percent to plan their large events. ACPB will have to request money for events from an allocations committee made up of 10 members.

“In the past we haven’t had programs,” Bey said. “The Third Eye Blind Concert was a test run, and it went really well.”

ACPB will now focus on smaller evening and weekend events because it will not have the large budget that it had last year. The allocations board will grant money based on the importance of the event.

“ACPB will now focus more on late-night and weekend events like the movie series and hosting bands in the Rathskellar,” said Thomas Simpson, assistant director of the Center for Student Involvement.

Each full-time undergraduate student pays a student activities fee, but the more credit hours a student is taking, the higher the fee. In general the fee is about $19.20 per student, said Judy Ripple, business manager for the Center for Student Involvement.

“ACPB will only get money based on how much money is available,” Ripple said.

Not having a set budget may change some of the events that students are used to seeing, but the goal is to provide students with quality events.

“I hope to see nice balance of large and small events,”

Simpson said.

Contact student affairs reporter Katie Garland at [email protected].