Cleaning up the environment

Denise Wright

Campus services foster eco-friendly mindset, planning

For some people, today is just another day. But for Ryan Spellman, university recycling coordinator and graduate student in business management, today is another day to make a difference.

Today is Earth Day, and Spellman plans to make the most of it. Spellman has worked with Campus Environment and Operations, Residence Services and Dining Services to put together a booth display in the Student Center.

“The goal of this semester has been to try to figure out ways to try to raise general awareness,” Spellman said.

The display will feature information that will let students know how these groups are being more environmentally friendly.

Residence Services will have information on recycling issues after its recent recycling competition. Dining Services will also have information about its new biodegradable packaging.

Booth workers will hand out items such as key rings made from recycled electronics and pencils made from recycled plastics and paper. Workers will also take names of students who are interested in helping out with environmental projects next semester.

Although Spellman said there are no grounds projects going on for Earth Day, he said the Campus Environment and Operations grounds department has been rigorously working to get campus looking nice for the upcoming summer and fall semesters.

Students can also look into doing planting projects of their own through the grounds department’s Planting Partnership. Through the program, students can choose from a variety of trees and shrubs to plant on campus in honor or memory of a person or organization.

“It’s a good program because whatever they’re planting is going to be around for awhile, so there’s longevity to it,” grounds manager Heather White said.

For more information on the program, visit this site.

Spellman said overall, Campus Environment and Operations is working on being more proactive on the campus, especially with educating students. He said it’s important for students to get involved.

“It’s everybody’s campus, so the more you do, the more you help everyone,” Spellman said.

Contact features reporter Denise Wrightat [email protected].