Big brother, big realization

Rory Geraghty

A few weeks ago, I had an absolutely shocking personal realization.

My little sister is about to graduate from high school.

Furthermore, she will be attending our beloved Kent State in the fall.

Wow.

I can’t help but think back to my own childhood and teenage memories. Many of these memories relate to my family – and my younger sister is always involved.

Of course it was an inevitable outcome, but I never really put serious thought into her actually growing up. She was always my little sister.

Aren’t little sisters supposed to stay little?

That’s not the way the world works (at least that’s what I’ve been told).

To make things even more interesting, she happens to be coming to Kent State, most likely majoring in broadcast journalism.

As a product of the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, I’m delighted she has chosen the same field as me, albeit a different major.

The structural renaissance that is Franklin Hall is equipped to provide journalism students with top-notch learning opportunities in media, whether it is print, television, radio or online.

As a graduating senior, I’m excited that my younger sibling has an opportunity to enter the school with such tremendous facilities and resources at her fingertips.

It is the rest of Kent State that I’m somewhat worried about, even if it is just as a protective older brother.

How will residence life be for her? She already has her room assignment, so I’m already trying to figure out the particulars. One of her best friends will be her roommate. How will that affect their friendship?

Will she take an active role in the many extra-curricular activities that Kent State has to offer? Student Media seems like a natural fit, but will she also take interest in some of the other excellent student organizations on our campus?

Will she react to the college environment positively? Will she allow her circle of friends to expand to parts of the student population that she was not aware of previously? The recent conversations about race on campus have given me hope that the Kent State campus can be in better harmony sooner rather than later. Coming from a very diverse high school, my sister can play a role in that progress.

It is clear to me that I should not be frightened by the prospect of my younger sibling joining the campus community. She will be receiving a top-notch education while exposing herself to the college experience. Such experiences are truly invaluable in the game of life.

Her older brother may also be around campus to provide any necessary assistance, as well. While I chose not to live on campus at the beginning of my collegiate journey, I’ve been around this campus enough to understand how things work.

Like many aspects of life, it is usually better to simply allow it to be experienced rather than to be taught.

I’m going to do my best to facilitate her college experience while allowing her to learn on her own.

Big brother has always been there for support – college won’t change that.

Rory Geraghty is a senior electronic media production major and a columnist for the Daily Kent Stater. Contact him at [email protected].