Two students who attend ribbon cutting will win trip to Turkey

Marissa Mendel

To celebrate today’s ribbon cutting of the Turkish American Cultural Center, two students will win a summer vacation to Turkey.

Bahcesehir University, a private university in Turkey, and Kent State have been working together to renovate Van Campen Hall, adding two classrooms, a library and dorm spaces for Turkish students.

A reception and presentations will take place at 4 p.m. today in Van Campen Hall.

Vice Provost Steve Michael said Bahcesehir made a pledge of $2.7 million for the renovation of Van Campen.

Over the past six years, Bahcesehir University has sent more than 60 students to Kent. With the new center opening, the goal is to increase the number of Turkish students on campus to 70 each semester, said Ediz Kaykayoglu, director of the project.

Kenneth Cushner, executive director of the Office of International Affairs, said the two universities have been developing a relationship for six years.

“We thought there just might be some opportunities to link the universities,” Cushner said.

Michael said the university’s relationship with Bahcesehir is being taken to a new level by adding this center on campus.

“Bahcesehir University’s presence in Van Campen means they will have a large facility for students to come study,” Michael said.

He said more opportunities could now open up for students to study abroad in Turkey.

Students interested in winning the trip to Turkey this summer can attend the opening and enter their names in a drawing.

The two winning students will stay at the university in Istanbul and sightsee for one or two weeks. Students must be U.S. citizens.

“My hope is that many Kent State students will be there to try out their luck,” Michael said.

Contact international affairs reporter Marissa Mendel at [email protected].