Weather relocates Culture Shock to Student Center

Denver Collins

Because of weather conditions,Culture Shock has been moved from Risman Plaza to the Student Center and takes place from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. today.

Culture Shock is a long-running Kent State tradition sponsored by the All Campus Programming Board. It’s an event that celebrates the cultural heritage and ethnicities of Kent State students by featuring performances by culturally diverse bands and dancers.

Performances take place in the Rathskeller, along with six tables of free food, including ribs, quesadillas, baklava, hummus and more. The student organizations will be stationed by the windows on the second floor.

The event kicks off with a performance by Dub Flex Reggae, which was voted Cleveland’s No. 1 reggae band by Scene Magazine, said April Samuelson, ACPB festival arts chair.

Other acts include American Indian, African, Japanese and Polish dancers, as well as Olu and HeartBeat Afrika and a bagpipe band called the Glen Mor Pipe Band.

Samuelson said she has participated in Culture Shock every year that she’s been a Kent State student.

“It’s one of my absolute favorite events,” she said. “It’s different from pretty much everything else that’s done here.”

Samuelson said she enjoys the wide variety of music and the ability of different types of people to come together and participate in the event.

“Of course,” she said, “the free food is always nice.”

Contact entertainment reporter Denver Collins at [email protected].