‘Advising 103’ series offers freshmen advising services

Kim Brown

Freshmen have the opportunity to meet with advisers this week to plan for their sophomore year.

The Office of Advising and Academic Services is offering “Advising 103,” a continuous series to any freshman wanting to talk with an adviser about pre-majors and majors, summer courses, scheduling, repeating courses and basic advising questions.

The series continues through Thursday with advising at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the Olson Hall CCI Commons, 4:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Multicultural Center, Room 206 in the Student Center and 1 p.m. Thursday at Taylor Hall in Room 303.

“We developed the series in an effort to reach out to students outside of the one-on-one advising,” said Cathy Zingrone, an academic adviser and coordinator. “We’re happy to go out to where the students are and bring the information to them.”

Four academic “Advising 103” sessions are available throughout a student’s freshman year and deal with issues current to the time in the school year. Zingrone said topics differ as they relate to student needs. This week’s series mainly concerns transient summer courses and credits.

Zingrone said an individual advising appointment is always a good idea, but the benefit of the series is to reach out to a larger number of students.

“We were strategic in times we chose in order to draw in residence hall and commuter students,” she said.

Zingrone said this is the first year the department offers the freshmen advising series.

Students are asked to bring their advising portfolio and any questions or concerns.

For additional information or questions, contact the OAAS office at (330) 672-2780.

Contact student affairs reporter Kim Brown at [email protected].