Fraternity suspended after fight

Jessica Lumpp

A fight that broke out March 7 between neighboring fraternities Sigma Tau Gamma and Phi Kappa Tau has led to the suspension of Sigma Tau Gamma.

Phi Kappa Tau had already been suspended through its national organization before the fight. Multiple phone calls to the national organization were not returned.

Beth Gittons, assistant director of sorority and fraternity affairs, was able to confirm the suspensions but chose not to comment further.

“They both received letters explaining their suspensions,” she said.

Adam Heath, president of Phi Kappa Tau, said he had not seen a letter from the university and had only received one from nationals.

Phi Kappa Tau was unable to participate in Greek events such as SongFest on March 3 and Delta Zeta Lipsync on Feb. 18 as a stipulation from its national suspension.

However, when the Stater contacted Gittons in early March, she said Phi Kappa Tau was not suspended.

Dean of students Greg Jarvie said if a fraternity is suspended nationally it would be recognized by the university.

In order for Phi Kappa Tau to be reinstated through nationals, each member must complete 20 hours of community service, Heath said.

“We are working with the university and alumni to get it resolved,” he said.

They plan on working off their service hours at Habitat for Humanity and still plan to have their annual volleyball philanthropy next month.

“We made a couple mistakes this semester,” Heath said. “But, we are going to do whatever we have to do and we will be back on campus for next semester.”

Corbin Rispoli, president of Sigma Tau Gamma, said he did receive the suspension letter from the university. He said the whole incident was “just a misunderstanding” and he didn’t know how the fight started.

Kent Police responded to the fight on University Drive and made one arrest. Ryan Brandt, 19, of Bainbridge, was charged with obstructing official business and underage drinking due to the possession of a “can of Natural beer,” according to the police report. Brandt is not listed as a student in the Kent State directory.

The only injury reported was that of Sigma Tau Gamma member Nicholas Piazza, who was treated and released with a broken nose.

Contact Greek life reporter Jessica Lumpp and [email protected].