Residence hall group seeking members

Brittany Moseley

National honorary group will accept apps through Friday

It’s made up of the top students living in residence halls, and it needs new members.

The National Residence Hall Honorary is accepting applications until Friday. Applicants must have a 3.0 GPA and have lived on campus for two semesters, including the current semester. NRHH is an honorary organization that recognizes academic excellence and involvement in the residence halls.

“We’re also looking for the individual who exemplifies what we believe is a lifestyle that is pro-resident hall,” said David Allen, vice president of recruitment and retention.

President Alex DeJesus said being involved on campus is just as important as having good grades.

“If you have a 3.9 but you just sit in your room, but you have a 3.1 and you go to things, we may be more inclined to take (the 3.1) person,” DeJesus said.

Not only does NRHH recognize the top students living on campus, it also recognizes everyone who works in the residence halls with events like Recognition Week, and the Rezzies awards, specifically for the student staffs in the halls. This is one reason Rochelle O’Neil joined NRHH.

“A lot of people working on campus, especially desk workers, they do so much and very rarely get recognized on it,” said O’Neil, NRHH treasurer. “I think that the people who do stand out deserve to get recognized.”

NRHH’s biggest event is “Throw and Go.” At the end of each year, the group places bins in each hall for students to give away anything they don’t want, such as clothes or books. The items are donated to needy families. The group also collects used ink cartridges and cell phones year round.

DeJesus said NRHH usually receives about six applicants a semester, and there are about 24 members.

“We’re fortunate that the people who apply stay active,” DeJesus said. “It gives you a chance to get plugged into campus.”

This semester NRHH wants to increase awareness by advertising more, meeting with resident assistants and co-sponsoring events.

Allen said one reason NRHH isn’t as well known as other campus organizations is because many students follow what he calls the “two rule.”

“You spend your mandatory two years in the residence halls and then you leave,” Allen said. “The more you invest, the more you get.”

NRHH is part of the National Association of College and University Residence Halls. Kent State’s Black Squirrel chapter, started in 1981.

Anyone interested in applying can pick up an application at the KIC/NRHH office in Tri-Towers Rotunda.

Contact room and board reporter Brittany Moseley at [email protected].