Donate Life asks students to help cause

Amanda Hayes

A team of students working on Donate Life Ohio’s “Do It Now” campaign will be recruiting organ donors at tomorrow’s Kent vs. Ohio men’s basketball game.

The recruitment group is made up of seven public relations students, said Julie McKinney, junior public relations major. McKinney said the team is working to register new organ donors as part of a state-wide intercollegiate competition sponsored by Donate Life Ohio.

The “Do It Now” campaign’s Web site says the state goal is to register 400,000 new donors by May. Kent State’s individual goal is to register 14,571 donors from Portage, Geauga and Cuyahoga counties, McKinney said.

A table will also be set up in Bowman Hall this morning from 8 a.m. to noon. McKinney said the table will offer donation information, cookies and coffee.

“I hope we will be registering some new donors as well,” McKinney said.

Students who register at the basketball game tomorrow will be entered to win gift certificates and T-shirts. Students who recruit other donors will also be entered into the raffle.

The Donate Life team will be at the M.A.C. Center before and during tomorrow’s 3 p.m. game. The team will also be at the Feb. 23 women’s Kent vs. Akron basketball game, as well as campus and community events throughout the semester.

Students can find out more about the “Do It Now” campaign and register to become organ donors at www.doitnowohio.org.

– Amanda Hayes