Illinois governor offers prayers for NIU

Tyrel Linkhorn

Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich visited with students and family members at Northern Illinois University this afternoon. Blagojevich offered his condolences to the university and community. ABIGAIL S. FISHER | DAILY KENT STATER

Editor’s Note: The Daily Kent Stater and TV2 sent a group of student journalists to Northern Illinois University to tell the stories of the students who lived through the tragedy. Visit KentNewsNet.com throughout the weekend for continuing coverage.

DEKALB, Ill. – Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich told the Northern Illinois University community this afternoon that he and his office “will work with the university to help this community restore to its core mission, and that is education.”

Calling the shooting “a tragic, senseless and horrific event,” Blagojevich spoke briefly in Altgeld Hall to a crowd of mostly media members interspersed with a few university students and officials.

“In an institution devoted to learning,” Blagojevich said, “we saw . a terrible act of unthinkable horror.”

He promised continued Illinois state police assistance in the investigation and thanked NIU police chief Donald Grady for the work he and his office have done trying to understand how and why the shooting happened.

“If there is a way where this tragedy could have been anticipated or stopped beforehand, we will find it,” he said.

He commended the way the community has came together to help one and other and offered his condolences and prayers to those who lost their lives.

“May God bless them, keep them close and watch over them. My prayers for their parents and our prayers to those who are trying to recover from their injuries,” he said. “Our prayers are with them.”

Contact news editor Tyrel Linkhorn at [email protected]..