Meet the new candidates for Honors College dean

Christina Thomas

For the next week and a half, students can meet the five potential candidates applying for the dean’s position in the Honors College at receptions.

Before the retirement of Larry Andrews last spring, an appointed search committee began its search for potential candidates for the position. Don Williams, associate dean of the College of Business Administration, was appointed interim dean until the committee could interview candidates for a permanent position.

Students are encouraged to attend the receptions to meet and talk to the candidates, said Becky Gares, coordinator of advising and communication. There are evaluation forms they can fill out with their input on each candidate that will be submitted to the search committee to be reviewed, she said. The receptions will be held at the Honors College office located on the lower level of Stopher Hall, and will provide free food and refreshments for guests.

“Everyone who comes has a say in what they think of each candidate when they fill out a form,” Gares said.

Schedule of receptions in Stopher Hall

• John Stalvey, associate dean, College of Arts and Sciences

When: 4:45-6 p.m., today

• Don Williams, interim dean, Honors College

When: 4:45-6 p.m., tomorrow

• Tim Moore, associate dean, Advising, College of Arts and Sciences

When: 4:45-6 p.m., Tuesday

• Bill Monroe, executive associate dean, Honors

College, University of Houston

When: 4:45-6 p.m., Wednesday

• Greg Lanier, associate dean of Arts and Sciences for Honors and Interdisciplinary studies, University of West Florida

When: 4:45-6 p.m., March 6

She said a search committee for the new dean was appointed by Provost Robert Frank, and they have been working all year to find candidates to bring to campus.

Chairman of the search committee and Dean of Library and Media Services, Mark Weber, said the committee invited the top five candidates to campus after holding interviews at Cleveland Hopkins Airport last February. The search committee will give its recommendation to the provost and president, who will make the final decision.

“Some important qualities we are looking for is someone who is committed to undergraduate research, enjoys working with students, is comfortable with fundraising and someone who is committed to liberal arts education,” he said.

The committee will look at every evaluation submitted from the reception, and each one is taken into consideration. He said it looks at evaluations of individual candidates made by people who have talked to them as well as recommendations from groups.

“The purpose of having on-campus interviews is to give members of the campus community, including administrators, faculty and students, a chance to listen to candidates, and give their opinion as to how suitable they are for the position,” Weber said.

Contact Honors College reporter Christina Thomas at [email protected].