USS discusses March 4 primary, housing standards

Jenna Staul

Undergraduate Student Senate discussed ways to get Kent State students involved in Ohio’s March 4 primary next week.

USS plans to involve Kent State’s College Republicans and College Democrats in getting the word out about issues important to students in the election.

“We feel all the political badgering gets in the way of issues,” said USS executive director Katie Hale, who said USS is also hoping to have a bus that will shuttle students from campus to polling locations.

USS will also be holding a voter registration drive March 6 in the Student Center to register students to vote for the general election.

The group also unanimously voted to pass an off-campus housing resolution as a part of an ongoing effort to work with off-campus student housing standards.

Jonathan Bey, senator for community affairs, recently reviewed Kent’s newly adopted housing code. He said he looks forward to Undergraduate Student Government becoming more involved with off-campus student housing issues in the future.

“I think it’s a great step that my colleagues unanimously voted for the resolution,” Bey said. “We sent a letter to David Ruller, (Kent City Manager) letting him know that we are taking initiative on the issue.”

– Jenna Staul