Letters to the editor

Here is why I’m voting for Obama

Dear Editor:

The Ohio primaries are fast approaching! As a student member of Kent Students for Barack Obama, I’m going to list a few of the reasons why my vote on March 4th will be for Sen. Obama: He was a constitutional law professor at the University of Chicago and makes sure that the Constitution does not overstep its boundaries by supporting a woman’s right to choose. As a former community organizer, Obama supports limiting gun purchases and increasing restrictions because he understands what it takes to make communities safe. Obama voted ‘no’ on a bill that attempted to make English the official language of the United States; however, Obama has proposed a plan for education that attempts to embrace bilingual students with programs to help limited-English proficient students master the English language. While living overseas in Indonesia for a few years, Obama learned first hand how important cultural respect and diversity are to our society. Obama also addresses the fact that more than half of America’s students (K-post-secondary) are reading and learning math below the proficient level. I’m more likely to embrace a candidate who wants to allocate monies toward teaching students correct and proficient English, among other skills, instead of mandating everyone to speak the same language at a low proficiency. He plans to make available a $4,000 grant for each college student that is willing to spend a few hours volunteering in their community. Obama also upholds equal rights for all Americans, regardless of sexual orientation, race or gender. He is one of the few candidates able to separate his Christian faith from his politics. He supported legislation for civil unions and voted against the Federal Marriage Amendment, upholding the rights of gay Americans.

With a beautiful family, an extremely successful career and the support of millions of Americans, he’s just a stone’s throw from becoming the 44th President of the United States. Barack Obama is enjoying this success because the American people can look past the teenage experimenting and can embrace the qualities he holds, including selflessness, an amazing ability to energize people, a strong belief in Americans, faith in education and a belief that all Americans are entitled to affordable, quality health care. Most of all, he has a vision of unity for America, and he has placed faith in us – we can make it happen.

I urge you to vote in this primary election. You can vote early if you’re registered in Portage

County at the Portage County Board of Elections at 449 S. Meridian Street in Ravenna. I believe Barack Obama can bring the change and the unity necessary to revive Americans’ faith in politics. It is for these reasons that my vote in the March 4th Ohio Primary will go to Sen. Barack Obama – he’s the candidate I’ve been waiting for.

Sarah Wilson

Junior political science major

Look at the choices before you go vote

Dear Editor:

I frequently ask the people who say “I’m voting Obama,” what it is they like about Barack Obama. Most of them are unable to answer. While I am a Hillary Clinton supporter, I find it hard to bash one candidate, without hurting your own argument due tow the fact that Clinton and Obama’s views basically coincide. One of the main, and virtually only places you can view a real and distinctive difference is in their health care plans. I’m not going to attack his views in any way, shape or form. I will, however, encourage my fellow classmates to look at the candidates before casting a vote.

I say this because I feel Obama is a drug. Not a bad drug, not PCP or acid, but a drug that you take but forget to look at the potential side effects. Think about it: If someone handed you an unlabeled pill and told you to take it, would you? What scares me is, many American’s are taking the “Obama pill” without knowing how it will affect them.

Everyone has a right to vote for who they want or feel is ready to battle John McCain in the November election. I am just asking that you look at the facts before doing so. Look at the experience Hillary has, and the great things she has already done for our nation. I’m not going to list things, because it’s your job to become educated on candidates, as I already have done. I will say this: In 2004 after being elected to serve his one and only term in the Senate so far, Barack stated:

“I’m a believer in knowing what you’re doing when applying for a job, and I think that if I were seriously consider running on a national ticket, I would essentially have to start now before having served a day in the Senate. Now, there are some people who would be comfortable doing that, but I’m not one of those people.” – Barack Obama (Nov. 8, 2004)

I’m pleading: Get the facts about the drugs before you start taking them!

Travis Johns

Sophomore marketing major