Kent State announces additional student aid through emergency grant fund

Jenna Borthwick TV2 News Director

Kent State University announced Tuesday it is accepting applications for emergency student aid through the newly created Kent State Emergency Grant Fund

According to a university press release, the Emergency Grant Fund will be awarded in addition to the Pay It Flash Forward Emergency Fund, which was launched March 28 to help students affected by the coronavirus pandemic. 

Kent State is receiving more than $19 million from the CARES Act, or the Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act, from the federal government. According to the Department of Education’s website, universities must target at least half of the money they receive from the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund toward direct student aid. 

The money can be used for education-related expenses including: 

• On- or off-campus housing and meals

• Off-campus utility bills

• Books, supplies and other course-related materials or technology

• Emergency transportation costs or car repairs

• Unexpected medical expenses

• Unexpected child care expenses

The release stated awards will be based on individual need and circumstances and that the university hopes to help as many students as possible who are facing financial challenges. 

To be considered for the funds, students need to apply using the existing emergency grant application found on FlashLine, must be enrolled for the spring 2020 semester and pursuing a degree. 

Students only need to fill out one application for both funds. If a student previously applied for the Pay It Flash Forward Emergency Fund, their application will automatically be considered for all emergency grant funding.

Once their application is reviewed, students will be contacted by email with additional information.

If students or their family members experienced a job loss or reduction in pay that could impact their 2020 to 2021 Financial Aid Offer, they can refer to the Student Financial Aid website or contact One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000 for more information.

Resources for assistance with food, mental health and other necessities can be found on the Office of the Dean of Students’ COVID-19 Emergency Resources page.

Jenna Borthwick is the news director for TV2. Contact her at [email protected]