Sex issues magazine promotes discussion, health awareness

Amanda Hayes

Health honorary Eta Sigma Gamma distributes Sex Etc. magazine around campus

Got questions about sex? You aren’t alone.

This week, Kent State students were introduced to Sex Etc., a magazine focused on sexual health and relationships. The free magazine will be distributed on campus compliments of Eta Sigma Gamma, a health education honorary. Eta Sigma Gamma President Colin Dean said the honorary distributed 4,000 copies of Sex Etc. this week, and will put out another shipment later in the semester.

Dean said he found out about at a conference in Washington, D.C. last spring. The magazine is distributed nationally, and discusses a wide variety of sexual health and related concerns.

A news release said Eta Sigma Gamma is sponsoring the magazine’s distribution “due to a proven need for sexuality education on the campus of Kent State University.” The release said a Spring 2007 survey found that over 70 percent of Kent State students do not regularly use condoms.

Dean said the Sex Etc. magazine has been in publication since 1994, and the corresponding Web site was created in 1999. The articles in the magazine and on the site are written by teenagers from all over the world, Dean said.

Dean said that though Sex Etc. is written by young, mostly high school-aged students, all articles are fact-checked by health education and medical professionals at Rutgers University.

Sex Etc. allows anyone 18 or younger to write for the magazine for pay, Dean said. The Sex Etc. Web site, www.sexetc.org, asks young people to apply to “join our staff” and write for the magazine.

The magazine does not shy from any sexual issue – the current issue is titled, “I’m Taboo.” For the cover story, the editorial staff wrote “We know that straight talk about sex and sexuality is taboo for teens.”

So they asked readers to answer, “Why are you taboo?” Those who responded said they consider themselves taboo for many reasons, ranging from being a virgin to being homosexual to being a “slut.”

Questions about sexuality, dating, sexually transmitted diseases, abortion and birth control are all addressed in the packet. The magazine also offers trivia, a question and answer section and relationship advice.

The Sex Etc. Web site gives young people the opportunity to pose questions, share experiences and learn about sexual health issues. The site includes a blog, forums, frequently asked questions, surveys and even comics. The site also offers information on other concerns, including alcohol, drugs, love, abuse, body image and emotional health.

Dean said he hopes the magazine will give students better access to accurate information and will spark opportunities for more open conversations on sexuality.

“I believe this will lead to healthier students with healthier relationships,” Dean said.

The Spring 2008 issue of Sex Etc. is available on campus wherever other publications are offered.

Contact student health reporter Amanda Hayes at ahayes4kent.edu.