More than a dozen apply to fill vacant council position

Christina Anthony

An at-large position is available on the Kent City Council. This opening was left after the death of councilman William Schultz.

Fifteen applications have been returned.

“It’s great to see so many applicants,” said Mayor John Fender.

The council is looking for an open-minded individual who can look at all sides of a situation, he said.

Public interviews of the applicants will be held today at 7 p.m. in the Council chambers at 217 E. Summit St.

The Council members will make their final decision on Schultz’s replacement Jan. 28 during a special meeting at 5:30 p.m.

William Anderson

Anderson is “interested in helping the city with present and future plans for economic growth.” He is a member of the Portage County Historical Society and the Genealogical Society. Anderson earned eight medals for his service in the army as part of the invasion of France in the European Theatre of World War II.

Jenny Arthur

Arthur currently works for the Works, Inc. and TransOhio Properties. Arthur has participated in the Leadership for Portage County Program and is a member of the Kent Chamber of Commerce. She believes a community is best reflected by its attitude toward its downtown, and the best way to keep city taxes low would be to generate new government opportunities.

John Bard

Bard is an Independent who works for Strong Tool, Co. Bard ran for this position against Shultz in the regular election. Bard believes it is time for a change in the City Council. He feels the same things have been done over and over without results and thinks he can bring results.

Sean Buchanan

Buchanan is a Democrat who works as a constituent liaison for the U.S. House of Representatives. He has worked as the deputy finance director for the Tim Ryan for Congress campaign and as the circulation manager and a reporter for Geauga County Maple Leaf.

Jerome Fiala

Fiala is a retired programmer and machinist. He feels he “can serve the city administration, university and residents with the skills and knowledge of 14 years of experience” he has and feels is needed for the position. He served as a councilman for 14 years in Ward 1 and has been the chair of the Public Safety Committee. He is currently a member of the Knights of Columbus and the Kent Lions Club.

John Gwinn

Gwinn is a retired University of Akron professor. He had previously been a candidate for City Council. Gwinn helped to form Keep Kent Beautiful and led the Garden Club. He believes he has “the experience, time, motivation and desire to help move Kent forward.”

Vic Hart

Hart is a Democrat who is currently working as the campus director at the Academy of Court Reporting in Cleveland. Hart has served as a member of the Precinct Committee for the Democratic Party in Ward 2 and on the Board of Zoning Appeals. His goal as a council member would be to help the city plan for the future.

“The decline in revenues is scary,” Hart said.

Elizabeth Howard

Howard is a Democrat and an associate professor in the English department at Kent State. She wants the open position in order to be an active citizen and join with other council members to make Kent the best city it can be.

Doron Kutash

Kutash is an Independent who works as the president of Go2Go Taxi. He is the co-founder of the United Way Campus Organization and a volunteer for Main Street Kent and the United Way. He feels he can turn the ideas of the public into reality, he said.

Ross Miltner

Miltner is a Democrat and is currently working as an Assistant Resident Hall Director for Kent State. He wants the position “to provide a younger and fresher perspective to the Council to improve the city, especially in areas of economy redevelopment and strategic planning to revitalize downtown and attract new businesses to the community.”

John Nemec

Nemec is a Democrat and currently works as a teacher and coach for Kent City Schools. He wants the open position to serve the citizens of Kent. Nemec has served 12 years on City Council.

“I believe in the city manager form of government,” Nemec said. “Professionals should run the city.”

Frederic Pierre

Pierre is a Democrat who currently works as a self-employed computer technician. He is “interested in Public service and enjoys building the community.” Pierre has been the President of Kent Cooperative Housing, Secretary for Council Rock Inc. and Breakneck Creek Watershed Coalition, and served as a member of the Vision 2006 Steering Committee.

Gary Schultz

Schultz is a Democrat who has 20 years of experience working at the state level of government.

“I am excited for the opportunity,” Schultz said.

Schultz worked as the deputy superintendent of direct and indirect services for the Cuyahoga Hills Juvenile Corrections Facility, as the warden’s administration assistant II and inspector of institutional services for Trumbull Correctional Institution.

Robin Turner

Turner was a personal assistant for Schultz. He is a Democrat who is interested in the position because he feels Kent needs to further develop the downtown area and revitalize the neighborhoods. He is the co-founder and vice president of Portage County Black Caucus and a Portage County NAACP chair. He currently is a member of the South End Empowerment Association and the Portage County Democratic Central Committee.

Karl Walter

Walter is a Democrat who works as a painter and contractor. He said that he was interested in the position because it would give him a chance to have an active role in governing his hometown in hopes of affecting change that will further tap the potential of the City of Kent.

Contact public affairs reporter Christina Anthony at [email protected].