Expo to help understand Financial Aid

Sarah Steimer

Today’s Financial Aid and Scholarship Expo, from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom, will gather many on-campus offices to expose students to financial aid options.

Constance Dubick, associate director of Student Financial Aid, said the expo is a great way for students to speak with real people as well as learn how to use Web sites when other questions arise.

“We’re trying to blend high-tech and high-touch,” Dubick said.

Mark Evans, director of Student Financial Aid, said the “last two weeks and the next two weeks” for both prospective and current students are very important regarding the search for financial aid.

This is the first year for student representatives from the accounting program. They will be able to answer questions students may have about taxes and other general monetary concerns.

Applications and assistance for the 2008-2009 FAFSA will be available at the expo. Many students, said Dubick, don’t realize that the applications must be filled out every year.

“We need students to be thinking about FAFSA and getting it done,” she said.

This year, there is a blood drive at the expo as well. Those who choose to donate blood will receive a Chipotle gift card while supplies last.

As an extra incentive, there is an hourly drawing for a $100 book scholarship from the University Bookstore for Fall 2008. Various other prizes and refreshments will also be available throughout the expo. A drawing will occur at the end of the day for an iPod Nano.

Contact student finance reporter Sarah Steimer at [email protected].