Former KSU athlete finds new team, but remains under investigation

ChyTearra T. Kintchen, one of the women’s basketball players charged with receiving stolen property last semester, has transferred to Lambuth University in Jackson, Tenn., and is playing on its basketball team.

Kintchen and Kent State teammate Jamilah C. Humes were charged with receiving stolen property early in the fall. Humes was indicted for receiving stolen property and forgery Jan. 2.

Portage County Prosecutor Victor Vigluicci explained the forgery count was added to Humes’ indictment because she signed the card owner’s name when using the credit card.

Each count carries a maximum penalty of one year in prison.

Vigluicci said Kintchen could still be indicted. The case, he said, is still under investigation.

Kintchen was removed from the Kent State roster at the end of last semester. She made her debut with Lambuth Sunday, scoring 15 points. Lambuth coach Joe Reints said he is aware of the investigation in Kent.

“She’s a good player who may or may not have made a mistake,” he said.

Reints previously recruited Kintchen before her decision to go to Kent State. He said he will wait and see what happens with the case, and he believes in giving her a chance on his team.

“We’re a small Christian school, and this is a great opportunity for ChyTearra,” Reints said.

According to court records, the card belonged to Lance Fusselman, who graduated from Kent State in December.

Fusselman said the theft happened when he was at the ATM in the Student Center in the summer.

He said about $1,000 was charged to the card and that the bank refunded his money.

Kintchen transferred to Kent State in 2007 from Jefferson College in Hillsboro, Mo.

Both players were suspended from the university for fall semester. Humes is still enrolled at Kent State and on the basketball roster, but is not playing.

Contact safety reporter

Kiera Manion-Fischer at [email protected].

Contact sports editor Jeff Russ at [email protected].