New retention position filled

Kiera Manion-Fischer

The director of first-year experience in undergraduate studies is filling a new position in the provost’s office.

Terri Christensen will become executive director of student success programs and will oversee first- and second-year retention efforts.

Christensen said the details of her new position are still being worked out, but she will be looking at coordinating efforts to work with students and ultimately increase retention.

“We want students to be engaged,” she said. “We want them to be comfortable and happy so that they will earn their degrees.”

Christensen said she is currently working with the deans, chairs and directors to examine midterm grades and better support students until the end of the semester.

Also, she’s looking at classes students are struggling in and will provide some additional funding through the provost’s office for tutoring that is not available through the Academic Success Center.

Provost Robert Frank said Christensen will transition from the department of undergraduate studies to the provost’s office between now and the end of the semester.

“I’m still going to be very involved with the first-year experience working with undergraduate studies,” Christensen said.

Now, she will oversee the provost’s office retention working group, which develops ideas to improve student retention. As the group meets, she said she would be working to implement some of its ideas.

Christensen said she will look at programs for first- and second-year students Kent State has in place, and possibly enhance current practices.

She said she would help coordinate existing services to be more efficient and determine how Kent State can provide an experience that helps students succeed.

“Students will feel more supported and more comforted,” she said.

Contact academics reporter Kiera Manion-Fischer at [email protected].