Do you have it? GUTS

Katelyn Luysterborg

Teams tackle the Aggro Crag for a piece of radical rock at Kent GUTS

WATCH the GUTS audio slideshow

Forty-five teams tested their abilities in the ultimate action sports challenge, “GUTS: Rec Services Style,” Friday night.

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center transformed into the Extreme Arena, and the event featured former GUTS referee, Moira Quirk, also known as Mo.

“Kent State — go bust ass!” Quirk said in the opening ceremony. “Go bust ass!”

The teams, each consisting of six players, battled it out in six different events for the trophy, a piece of the Aggro Crag.

The events had competitors climbing through the elastic jungle, riding tricycles and doing the crab walk around the track, throwing footballs through tires — all leading up to the infamous Aggro Crag. The competitors climbed the rock-climbing wall while dodging Styrofoam boulders and trying to retrieve flags attached to the wall.

During halftime, Quirk performed part of her comedy show and took questions from the audience. Quirk joked with students while she answered questions about her stint on GUTS and her personal life.

“I knew nothing about American sports — or sports at home,” Quirk said of getting the job on GUTS. “(It’s) a job that I had no right to get.”

Quirk lives in Los Angeles with her husband and two daughters. She still talks to Mike O’Malley, and their kids have play dates. She thinks it’s awesome that people still remember the show.

“It’s amazing to me how popular the show was,” said Quirk, who still gets recognized by college students. “I had no idea at the time.”

In the end, team Vendetta won the glowing piece of the radical rock.

“It’s a lot more than I was expecting,” said Kim McDonald, a freshman exploratory major and member of the Silver Snakes. “They should continue doing it.”

Jason Hawk, interim director for the rec center, agreed.

“It went extremely well,” Hawk said. “Everyone was excited about having Mo here.”

Contact Student Recreation and Wellness Center reporter Katelyn Luysterborg at [email protected].