Students, community invited to take part in Kent State’s International Education Week

Michelle Moore

Kent State Stark campus will host an international panel discussion from 6 to 7:30 p.m. tonight in the Main Hall Auditorium. The discussion “Society, Culture & Education: A Global Exchange of Ideas” will include topics such as how education is valued in other countries, primary teaching philosophies and style and politics in education.

The Stark Campus Diversity Advisory Council initiated the topic for this year’s international panel. The council invited visiting international scholars and international graduate students to share differences and similarities within their home country’s educational systems and different experiences in general.

“Council members want to tap into the diverse human resources Kent State offers in order to expose our students more to global perspectives and global issues with the hope that peoples of all nations can engage in exchange of ideas, and learn from each other,” said Bei Cai, assistant professor of communication studies.

Cai said education is influenced by the society or culture it finds itself in. In order for the audience to gain a perspective of this country’s own educational system, she said, it is beneficial that we take a look at how education is delivered and valued in other countries.

“A point of reference from the outside will illuminate our understanding from the inside,” she said.

The Stark campus hosted a similar global panel discussion last year.

The free event is open to the public. For additional information, contact Bei Cai at (330) 244-3416 or [email protected].

Michelle Moore