Week of programs and events set to show appreciation for adult learners

Kristine Gill

Schedule of weeklong events

-Scholarship and Information Fair

When: 11a.m.-noon today

Where: Second floor of the Student Center

-Financial Aid Jeopardy

When: 6:30 – 8 p.m. today

Where: Activity Room 1158-F, Allerton Student Housing

-Vehicle Maintenance, Winterization and Auto Detailing

When: 11:30 – 1:30 p.m. tomorrow

Where: In front of the M.A.C. Center

-Study Cafe and Adult Group Discussions

When: 4 p.m.- 7 p.m. tomorrow

Where: Adult Student Center in the Michael Schwartz Center

-Student Quality Advisory Committee meeting

When: 8 – 9 a.m. Thursday

Where: Conference Suite in the Student Center

-Family Night Out- Dine and Swim

When: 5:30 – 9 p.m. Friday

Where: Student Recreation and Wellness Center

Adult Learner Week, a chance to celebrate adult learners and their accomplishments, begins today with a scholarship and information fair on the second floor of the Kent State Student Center, said LuWanda Higgins, program coordinator for the Adult Student Center.

More than 35 organizations will be in attendance from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today at the fair. They include Student Financial Aid, the Admissions Office, Student Accessibility Services, the Adult Student Center and the Center for Student Involvement. A drawing will take place for four $100 and one $50 book scholarship.

Residents of the Allerton community can participate in Financial Aid Jeopardy from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in Activity Room 1158-F. Financial Aid Counselor Kurt Drotleff, said the program is done on a PowerPoint presentation made to resemble Jeopardy, with stuffed squirrels and passes to the Ice Arena as some of the prizes.

Tomorrow’s events include a vehicle maintenance, winterization and auto detailing program. This free service will be available to all students from 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in front of the M.A.C. Center. Students wishing to take advantage should park in the U-drive in front of the building for service.

Later in the day, events scheduled include a study café and adult group discussions. From 4 to 7 p.m. at the Adult Student Center in the Michael Schwartz Center, students are welcome to study and take part in academic based discussions. Childcare will be provided on site.

On Thursday, the Student Quality Advisory Committee will meet. All students are encouraged to attend. It will be held at 8 a.m. in the conference suite of the Kent State’s Student Center’s third floor.

The committee is an advocacy group for students, which addresses students’ concerns with Pete Goldsmith, vice president for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs.

Adult Learner Week will wrap up on Friday with the Fall Fling. The event is designed to bring families together for a night of food and swimming.

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will host the event, which is free for Kent State students. Guests will have to pay $3 and children $2. Pizza, vegetables and other snacks will be provided.

Contact student affairs reporter Kristine Gill at [email protected].