Flashes struggle against RedHawks in loss

Joe Harrington

DANIEL OWEN | DAILY KENT STATER Miami RedHawks’ sophomore defensive back Wendell Brunson intercepts a pass intended for Flashes’ freshman wide reciever Alan Vanderink.

Kent State came up one yard short from tying Miami with 1:58 left in the fourth quarter before eventually losing to Miami 20-13. In a game that was defined by missed opportunities, invoking thoughts of the Akron game two weeks ago; Kent State continued the trend of sloppy play that seemed to follow them to their homecoming game.

“We dominated the game but lost the war,” coach Doug Martin said. ” It comes down to us just making plays.”

The Flashes had ten penalties for 109 yards, four turnovers and an uncharacteristic five sacks allowed by the offensive line. Eugene Jarvis, who entered the game as the nation’s leading rusher, failed to run for over a hundred yards, ending the game with a below average – for him – 84 yards on 19 carries.

But Jarvis wasn’t the reason for the loss. Martin referred to the turnovers and penalties as the team’s Achilles Heel and the defense’s streak of allowing teams to score on their first drive in the second half as something that is a unwanted trend.

“We got a good football team,” Martin said. ” We get (the mistakes) settled, we’re going to be hard to beat.”

The play of quarterback Julian Edelman was a mixture of amazing and second-guessing. On a day where he threw 260 yards, the second most of the season and completed 19 of his 32 passes; Edelman had the Miami defense struggling to stop him. Evading multiple tackles and making long runs with his legs, the quarterback was looking like a vintage scrambling quarterback.

But for every amazing play, the junior made questionable throws or took a sack in the redzone.

“I have enough snaps under my belt where I know not to do that,” Edelman said.

The game started out much like the Ohio game last week, with Kent State marching 80 yards down the field to take the lead 7-0. Sophomore Derek McBryde had a breakout game against the Redhawks, with seven catches, including a 27-yard and 16 yard catches that set up Jarvis’s 10th touchdown of the season.

It was the Flashes only touchdown of the game. Freshman, wide receiver Rashad Tukes may have had another touchdown in the third quarter.

On the state sheet, it will be listed as an incomplete pass but for the 17,000 fans that attended the game, it was one of the most crucial calls of the season. Tukes caught the ball in the corner of the endzone. The initial call by the official was a touchdown. But Miami challenged the call and after a lengthy review, the catch was overturned. The Flashes settled for a field goal to make the game 17-10.

After failing to capitalize on a Miami fourth quarter turnover, the Flashes had to settle for yet another field goal.

“It’s great that we’re making all of those field goals but we got to get in (the endzone),” Edelman said.

On the final Kent State drive, the Flashes made it to the 11-yard line, only to be pushed back to the 13 by another sack. With fourth and 13 and 1:58 to go, Edelman took off down the field only to be knocked out of bounds.

“I was only a yard away,” Edelman said. “I probably should have just thrown it up and let my (receiver) make a play.”

Contact sports writer Joe Harrington at [email protected].