Soccer scores two weekend shutouts on road trip

Chris Gates

With two consecutive shutout wins over the weekend, the Kent State Golden Flashes are now in third place in the Mid-American Conference.

Kent State visited Northern Illinois Friday with hopes of winning back-to-back games for the first time all season. Red-shirt sophomore Catharine Marosszeky scored in the 109th minute of double overtime to send the Flashes to victory.

With 39 seconds left, Marosszeky’s shot deflected off an NIU defender and found its way to the back of the net. Senior Lisa Kurz was credited with the assist.

The double-overtime win was the third match in four games for the Flashes that needed extra time for a decision. Winless in the first two, Kent State was able to end the jinx and came out on top in overtime of the third game.

The win moved the Flashes to a 4-5-1 overall record, advancing to 2-1-0 in MAC play.

The winning streak continued yesterday as Kent State beat Western Michigan 2-0 at the WMU Soccer Complex.

Freshman forward Jessica Brickman notched her first goal of the season in the 36th minute of play off of a pass from freshman Josee Charron. Brickman took the pass inside the box and headed the ball in to the lower left-hand corner of the net.

Kent State would never relinquish the lead, adding another tally in the 78th minute.

An outlet pass from red-shirt freshman L.A. Thoma found Charron at the top of the box, and she converted to up the Kent State lead to 2-0.

After yesterday’s victory, the Flashes now have an overall record of 5-5-1, and are third in the MAC with a 3-1-0 conference record.

Kent State will return home for the first time in nearly a month Friday when Bowling Green visits the Kent State Soccer Field. Bowling Green is currently 4-6-1 overall, and 1-2-0 in the MAC. Game time is set for 4 p.m.

Chris Gates