KSU VP receives top financial award

Jackie Valley

David Creamer, senior vice president for administration, said the importance of his job is measured by its positive impact on students more than an award.

Even so, Crain’s Cleveland Business magazine recognized Creamer as one of the region’s top money managers as a recipient of the 2007 Chief Financial Officer of the year award for the nonprofit education sector.

“It obviously is gratifying,” he said. “Part of the difficulty for me is this (the award) is not why you do things.

“The reality is there are a lot of other motivators for why we do things.”

Shelley Ingraham, assistant to the senior vice president for administration, said Creamer received his award Thursday during a ceremony for nominees at the Hyatt Regency at the Arcade in Cleveland.

Ingraham said Susan Taft, an associate professor in the school of nursing, and various members of the university community submitted the nomination, which was endorsed by President Lester Lefton and members of the Board of Trustees.

Ingraham said several of Creamer’s nomination highlights, as reported by Crain’s magazine, include:

– managing the university’s investments resulting in the growth of operating funds and cash investments,

– leading an effort to create a more efficient campus bus service by using county public transportation and

– overseeing campus safety and security; research, planning and institutional effectiveness; and buildings and grounds.

Ingraham said the award spotlights Creamer’s hard work and commitment to the university.

“He does have the university’s best interests at heart,” she said. “I’ve worked with him for two years now, and he’s here all the time. I respect that.”

Crain’s Cleveland Business magazine recognized 10 chief financial officers in the public, private and nonprofit sectors in Northeast Ohio.

Contact administration reporter Jackie Valley at [email protected].