Office of International Affairs plans events for fall semester

Becky Smith

Between 130 and 175 new international students have arrived on campus recently, and the Office of International Affairs has prepared their welcoming.

The office is planning a variety of social and programming events for the fall to assist international students with adjusting to campus life.

“(The events we have planned) are an opportunity for international students to meet each other, to relax and to take their minds off of school work,” said Deb Lyons, manager of International Students and Scholar Services. “We’re also hoping that American faculty and students will participate as well.”

Fall events begin with the orientation program, which runs Aug. 17 through 19.

The program will consist of activities that will help orient the new students to Kent State and the United States.

Students will be fed breakfast, lunch and dinner, will learn how to find a job, will take tours of the campus and downtown Kent and will spend an evening at the Student Recreation and Wellness Center.

A study abroad fair will be held in October and will highlight the study abroad programs sponsored by Kent State, as well as other organizations. Lyons said the fair will be a joint effort between International Students and Scholar Services and the Kent Academic Support & Advising Association.

New international students and global passport students are encouraged to attend a Fall Refresher session held in October. Students will get the chance to carve pumpkins while having apple cider and doughnuts.

International Education Week will be held Nov. 12 through 16. The International Students and Scholar Services and the Global Passport Community will be hosting this event.

The week will feature information, as well as activities, that will help attendees learn about other cultures. International students are encouraged to become involved with educating others about their home countries and cultures.

Lyons said other fall semester events include an ice cream social, monthly coffee hours, training workshops and a winter event, where international students will get to drink hot chocolate and ice skate.

“We’re open to other event ideas, and we would love to hear from the students,” Lyons said.

Anyone interested in more information about fall semester events or anyone who has event ideas can e-mail [email protected].

Contact international affairs and regional campuses reporter Becky Smith at [email protected].