Education podcasts enhancing coursework

Lyndsay Elliott

Beginning last month, the College and Graduate School of Education, Health and Human Services implemented two monthly podcasts for students and faculty.

Beth Thomas, educational technology designer for the department of academic computing support, said the goal of the podcasts is to bring new technology for the faculty to use as a supplement to their courses.

Lime Light is a feature-oriented podcast directed toward students. This month, Lime Light features information for students on nutrition by a professor in family and consumer studies.

Sage allows professors to communicate with colleagues and serves an academic purpose.

The podcasts are specific to the college and can be used for distance-learning convenience, Thomas said.

These two podcasts can be downloaded for free from the College and Graduate School of Education, Health and Human Services Web site or on iTunes. In the fall, the college plans to add the podcasts to iTunes U, which will allow students to search thousands of audio and video files from schools across the country, according to the iTunes University Web site.

Madison Black, junior special education major, said the podcasts will be a good tool to communicate with students.

“It’s beneficial because it’s an easy way to get lots of information quickly,” Black said. “It will be a great timesaver for me.”

It will also allow professors more time for in-class activities, instead of lectures.

“I find a lot of times I run out of time, and I can use the podcasts to do supplemental things,” Thomas said. “It saves time for more face-to-face and hands-on activities in the classroom.”

Thomas said students without iPods can access Sage and Lime Light by listening on their computers.

Contact fashion and College of Education, Health and Human Services reporter Lyndsay Elliott at [email protected].