Magical mischief

Sarah McGrath

Students give siblings a weekend of fun, games

Angela Heintz, left, sophomore athletic training major and Molly Vargo, sophomore integrated health studies major, sit while a caricature artist draws them Friday at the Wizard Carnival. BRIAN MARKS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: Jason Hall

It was a weekend full of laughter, new memories and sibling bonding for many of the Kent State students and their younger siblings who attended the annual Lil Sibs Weekend.

Hosted by the Kent Interhall Council and open to all Kent State students, Lil Sibs began Friday and lasted through Saturday. Students were not only able to invite their younger siblings, but they could also bring other younger family members or a child that they were particularly close to.

The magic-themed weekend featured a wizard carnival, glow-in-the-dark dance and a showing of Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, among other festivities.

“It’s good for them to see what college is about,” said Kristen Tassone, a senior theater major, who brought her niece and nephews up for Lil Sibs. “It is a chance for us to reconnect since I have not seen them in a while.”

One of the more popular events for the older siblings, hosted along with Lil Sibs, was laser tag outside of Centennial C and D. Tassone and her family waited for more than an hour just to play the game.

“I think one of the main highlights for the younger kids was the magic show and the glow-in-the-dark dance,” said Cassie McClelland, the vice president of programming and development who spent months putting together and running Lil Sibs.

Another popular event for the weekend was the “Outside Extravaganza,” which had participants of Lil Sibs climbing rock walls, getting airbrush tattoos, making wax hands and playing in inflatables. Inflatables are large balloon-like structures that Lil Sib participants were able to climb within and play around in.

“It turned out amazing,” McClelland said. “I think it is something that the little kids will remember and I hope they come back next year.”

Contact room and board reporter Sarah McGrath at [email protected].

//