Students remember accident victims

Tara Pringle

Two women killed in the car accident Sunday morning on Interstate 480 in Macedonia both had connections to Kent State.

Marcee A. Jones and April A. Kenniebrew were killed as they stood on the side of the interstate while having a flat tire fixed. University spokesperson Scott Rainone said another car lost control and hit them both.

Rachel Anderson, director of the Adult Student Services, said Jones, 45, of Kent, graduated in August 2006 with a degree in sociology and a minor in Pan-African studies.

Anderson said Jones, the mother of two young boys, was one of the founders of the Adult Student Support Group, which met a few times a month to help facilitate relationships between the adult students.

“Everybody that knew her knew she was a very vibrant, very successful student,” Anderson said. “She set a good example for her sons by going back to school as an adult. She will be missed.”

The other victim, Kenniebrew, 21, was a freshman pre-journalism major from Cleveland Heights.

Carla Morris, Kenniebrew’s cousin and junior fashion merchandising major, said she considered her more like a sister.

“She was a very beautiful, intelligent woman,” Morris said. “She loved her friends and family and God. She will be greatly missed.”

Rachael Marshall, a friend of Kenniebrew’s and a sophomore nursing major, said she considered her a sister, too.

“Regardless of how you were feeling, she was always there giving advice, helping you feel better,” Marshall said. “She was very down to earth and understanding.”

Marshall said Jones and Kenniebrew knew one another from church.

Macedonia police are still investigating the incident.

Contact public affairs reporter Tara Pringle at [email protected].