‘That Takes Ovaries’ three-part program aims to inspire women

Deborah Pritchard

Leading a bold life requires ovaries, according to Rivka Solomon.

Women’s Studies will present a program on women’s empowerment April 18 at 5:30 p.m. in Student Center Room 204.

Solomon will lead the program, which grew out of her book, That Takes Ovaries!: Bold Females and Their Brazen Acts, said Kathe Davis, director of Women’s Studies and associate professor. The book is a collection of real-life stories of women and girls all over the world who have taken command for their lives in some way.

The series of events can be compared to the “Vagina Monologues,” she said.

The program, called “That Takes Ovaries: Leading a Bold Life” has three parts, Davis said. During part one, Solomon will talk about the importance of being “gutsy, bold and brave.” During part two, pre-selected students will read stories they choose from the book or the play from which it was made.

“They are funny, but they are also brave and imaginative,” Davis said.

Part three is an open mic, she said. Audience members are invited to step up and tell their own stories of courageous or outrageous acts they have performed.

“Anyone who has stories of his or her own or anyone who knows someone who has empowerment in herself by taking a stand is welcome to tell that story,” Davis said.

“It is good for people to hear about other people’s problems and see what effective responses are. Many students think the women’s movement in the ’70s took care of that (the inequality of women), but unfortunately it is far from the truth.”

Davis said she would like to see undergraduate students at Kent State taking a more empowered role in their lives and in working to overcome the inequalities that many women are still faced with and will be faced with when going into the workforce.

The event is free and open to the public, she said. Both men and women are encouraged to come and participate. Following the program, there will be a reception with refreshments.

For more information, contact Kathe Davis at (330) 672-8042 or go to www.thattakesovaries.org.

Contact student life reporter Deborah Pritchard at [email protected].