Students meet candidate

Ted Hamilton

More than 20 students came to Stopher Hall yesterday to meet Richard Aquila, the first honors dean candidate to visit Kent State as the search for the new honors dean continues.

The potential dean was asked questions about why he would like to replace Larry Andrews, who is retiring after 15 years as the honors dean.

Aquila said he would like the “opportunity to help students with lots of ability to further their careers and occupations.

“I think the most important thing is trying to create a sense of community (among honors students),” he said.

He said he would like to make sure students are equipped to be successful in what they choose to do after college.

Aquila also asked students different questions about what they did and did not like about the Honors College.

Asking questions helps him to know what the strengths and weaknesses of the college are, he said.

Aquila holds a doctorate in American history and has written several books. He also had a weekly segment on National Public Radio about the history of rock ‘n’ roll.

“I was really impressed (with the candidate),” said Carrie Corrigan, freshman art history major. She said she liked him because he has published several books and has worked at other colleges in the past.

Aquila was a professor at Ball State University and is currently the dean of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Penn State.

“He was very natural,” said Anne Lucas, freshman integrated science major. “He just seemed like he was really into it.”

More dean candidates will be on campus next week to meet with students, faculty and staff.

Contact honors and international affairs reporter Ted Hamilton at [email protected].