Financial Aid Office to help Biloxi effort

Alexia Harris

A little bit of chocolate can go a long way.

Many students think the Student Financial Aid Office is only responsible for giving money for students. But what students do not know is how involved the office is in various volunteer efforts around campus and the community.

Connie Dubick, associate director of the Student Financial Aid Office, said the staff is very generous and often trades information about good causes.

“I knew this was a perfect opportunity for donating,” she said. “Our thinking was that everyone can’t go to Biloxi for spring break, but participating in the fundraiser is another way to contribute time, energy and dollars for other students to go.”

The office is collecting chocolate-related items for a basket to be auctioned at the Project Playhouse silent auction, “An Irish Fling with a Cajun Kick” Saturday.

Anna Gosky, associate director of Center for Student Involvement, said the idea of Project Playhouse was proposed to help decrease the student costs and purchase materials for the upcoming spring break trip to Biloxi, Miss., organized by Kent State United for the Gulf Coast committee.

The office’s basket includes chocolate cookies, pudding, candy bars, and bath gel, among other items.

“We thought it would be an item students will like because it includes items that could be shared with roommates and friends,” Dubick said.

Dubick said she hopes students, faculty and staff will come to the event.

“It’s a great way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with the university and community,” she said.

The silent auction will start Saturday at 5 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom. Tickets are available by calling (330) 672-9292.

Contact ethnic affairs reporter Alexia Harris at [email protected].