Film society has busy week ahead

Joe Shearer

The International Film Society is showing the first of two back-to-back movies tonight in an unusually busy week for the group. Revenge of the Nerds will air tonight, followed by The Motorcycle Diaries tomorrow night.

The latter is one of the initial six films the group decided on in the beginning of the semester, while Nerds was formally announced last week.

President of IFS Sean Johnson said Nerds didn’t cost anything for the group to show because Campus Movie Network delegated it to them. He said that they wanted to show the film to commemorate the special edition release of the DVD, which is out today.

IFS uses Facebook as a way to get the word out about their events. Johnson said that he prefers the Web site to traditional fliers because it makes it “seem more personal,” instead of simply being bombarded by random announcements.

A Facebook group was started for the Revenge of the Nerds showing, and so far, Johnson said there has been good feedback.

“A lot more people are wanting to see Motorcycle Diaries, (but) I’m hoping for a decent turnout for both of them,” Johnson said.

Despite the group’s shaky start in the beginning of the semester, IFS is already getting strong numbers to their showings. According to Johnson, more than 100 people showed up for the first IFS showing of Clerks 2. The group’s second showing, which took place Feb. 14, brought in an audience of about 50 people despite the snowy weather.

Revenge of the Nerds airs tonight at 7 p.m. in the Kiva, while The Motorcycle Diaries will be shown tomorrow at 8 p.m. in the Michael Schwartz Center. For more information regarding IFS happenings, contact Sean Johnson at [email protected].

Contact on-campus entertainment reporter Joe Shearer at [email protected].