Food, fun and flurries

Sarah McGrath

Second annual Winterfest features edible snow, ice carving demonstration

Sophomore nursing major Cassandra McClelland participates in the ice carving at Winter Fest last night. BRIAN MARKS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: John Proppe

Students who happened to walk by Eastway last night may have happened upon some yellow snow – edible yellow snow.

Kent Interhall Council and University Dining Services hosted the second annual Winterfest, an outdoor event where students were able to enjoy games of cornhole, an ice carving demonstration, and yes, even yellow snowcones.

Students who stopped by Winterfest also received free food and a traveling coffee mug and were treated to music from a live DJ.

The event, which Andrea Spandonis, director of dining services, described as “food, fun and flurries,” was a hit with students.

For Jayme Brymn, freshman early childhood education major, it wasn’t just free food she walked away with, but a free sled.

Brymn, who won her sled by playing cornhole, said she plans on using it this weekend on one of the many hills on the Kent State campus.

Other prizes given away during Winterfest included a bike, an iPod, and two passes to Brandywine Ski Resort.

Students who didn’t participate in games of cornhole were found huddled around heat lamps and bonfires roasting marshmallows, watching the ice carving demonstration and dancing to Justin Timberlake.

Autumn Piller, a student who works for dining services, was able to get in on the ice carving.

“I never felt a power tool like that before,” Piller said about her first ice carving experience. Piller spent 25 minutes carving the ‘I’ in KIC with a chain saw.

“I had a blast,” said Piller. “It feels like a high school pep rally with the bonfire, cornhole and friends.”

Contact room and board reporter Sarah McGrath at [email protected].

//