Adult Student Center to hold new programs

Jill Byerly

Adjusting to college life can be difficult for anyone, but add the years of not attending school, a job and possibly having children, it can be even more difficult.

The Adult Student Center serves the more than 2,500 adult students at Kent State. The center has recently created three new programs to help its students. Story hour, tutoring and the Study Caf‚ were designed to help adult students manage all of their responsibilities while still doing well in school.

“They will be provided with support while they are returning to college,” said Julie Gareau, academic adviser and graduate assistant for the Adult Student Center. “They will have a place to study and receive academic tutoring if they are in need.”

The first story hour will take place on Feb. 13 in Room 181 of the Michael Schwartz Center. Adult student parents are invited to bring their children and are welcome to join in the activities or study in the Adult Student Center. This program allows student parents to spend with their kids.

English lecturer Michael Sanders will be tutoring the adult students who feel they need help. The tutoring will take place in the same room as the story hour. He will focus on English and writing skills and is available Wednesdays and Fridays from 1 to 2 p.m. Kari Hall, Adult Student Center intern, is available from 3 to 5 p.m. on Mondays.

“Many students struggle with writing and they are hesitant to go to a tutor,” Sanders said. “I think the big thing is just to be available there. Whatever the writing situation is, they will have other ways to get help other than the Writing Center.”

The Study Caf‚ will offer students somewhere to study, and provide childcare for infants and children up to 12 years of age. Coffee, hot chocolate and tea will be served to participants. There are three dates scheduled for the Study Cafe: Feb. 21, March 14 and April 25. The Study Caf‚ will begin at 4 p.m. in the Adult Student Center and last until 7 p.m.

“They can sit down anywhere in the Adult Student Center to study,” said Joyce Wall, graduate assistant and adult student adviser in the Adult Student Center. “The atmosphere will be conducive for studying, and they can come and go as they please throughout the entire time.”

All three programs were created by the Adult Student Center employees and advisers to help students adjust, manage their time and succeed at Kent State.

“The students will get a quiet place to study, a support network, academic tutoring, child care and an educational activity that the student parents can participate in with their children,” Gareau said.

Contact student affairs reporter Jill Byerly at [email protected].