Imagine … Fun? Part 3

Anna Duszkiewicz

Students may come to Kent State expecting to fulfill the requirements for their major. But for some, the college experience involves trying something new — regardless of requirements.

Most people have been to a wedding and have seen it: A couple who glide across the dance floor ever so gracefully for everyone to admire.

Many have wished they could dance like that.

And Beverly Petersen-Fitts, Studio Swing Dance I instructor, said that at Kent State, anyone — not just dance majors — can learn.

She said students from just about any major take the class. “It could be anything: math, science, you name it.”

Sophomore music major Alyssa Lippiatt joked

that she’s taking the class partly for her sanity. “I have always wanted to learn how to swing, and the people are really great,” said Lippiatt. “It’s a very friendly atmosphere.”

Freshman architecture major Zach Durbin has a more practical reason. “I needed an extra credit hour,” he said, adding that it’s in the middle of the day when he has nothing else to do.

Other students, such as Rachel Adkins, senior visual communication design major, take the class to do something a little different. “It’s a nice change from my other classes,” Adkins said.

Alyssa Zimmerman, senior electronic media production major, seemed to agree. “It’s just a fun, upbeat class,” Zimmerman said. “It gives you a break in the middle of the day.”

Students may hesitate to take a dance class if they’ve never danced before, but Lippiatt offered some reassurance.

“You don’t need to be the best dancer,” she said. “We’re all beginners. You don’t need to feel embarrassed. We’re all learning this for the first time.”

And it’s really not as difficult as it looks, said Ashlee Brown, sophomore fashion design and merchandising major. “It’s not hard. We learn step by step,” Brown said.

Petersen-Fitts said Studio Swing Dance I is offered once a year in the spring. The class meets for 50 minutes twice a week.

“I think it’s relaxing and fun, and something you can do socially when you’re out at weddings or other social events,” Petersen-Fitts said. “It builds confidence and gives you a lifelong skill. Students walk out of here going ‘Wow, I can dance!'”

Contact features correspondent Anna Duszkiewicz at [email protected].