Rock ‘n’ roll makes a return

Joe Shearer

The Battle of the Bands kicks off tonight at 9 p.m. in the Rathskeller. The event is designed to give bands with Kent State student members an opportunity to compete to see which will come out on top.

Fourteen bands from a number of different genres are in this year’s competition.

Colleen Burch, All Campus Programming Board special events coordinator, said some of the types of music being represented are metal, ska, screamo and indie, but the overwhelming majority of the bands label themselves rock.

“We have a lot less punk and hip-hop (this year),” Burch said. “I was able to hear a good number of them. They’re pretty good.”

Burch said she was disappointed by the turnout for the American Eagle Campus Comedy Challenge that came to Kent State two weeks ago. The event attracted about 100 people. She said she hopes Battle of the Bands will bring more students to the Rathskeller.

“I don’t understand why the Rathskeller isn’t more popular,” she said.

Burch noted that the Rathskeller is the only spot on campus with a club atmosphere that serves alcohol.

Although Burch said she is looking forward to the event, she stressed the need for students to come out, support the bands and have a good time. With the recent turnouts of ACPB-sponsored events such as the comedy tour, Burch said she is skeptical.

“When it comes to student participation, I really don’t expect much,” she said.

According to Burch, only 14 bands – all of which are performing at this year’s Battle of the Bands – submitted applications for the event.

“I’m excited for it, but I hope it goes well,” Burch said. “There’s always things you wished you could’ve gotten done, (but) it’s gone pretty smoothly. People should come to see it.”

The first four bands performing tonight are Deviance Theory, K-uger, Rap Pack and Tropidelic. Admission is open to all those 18 and older. The event is free for Kent State students and $2 for non-students.

Contact on-campus entertainment reporter Joe Shearer at [email protected].