Fashion and music ‘Rock the Runway’

Kristen Kotz

The third annual Rock the Runway Fashion Show will take place at 9 p.m. Thursday in the Student Center Ballroom.

The event began three years ago to give amateur designers, not just fashion design or merchandising majors, a chance to display their creative talents on stage.

“It’s just a lot of fun preparing for it and going to a fashion show,” said Christopher Taylor, All Campus Programming Board vice president. “Kent is renowned for its fashion design and merchandising program, but all they have is the end-of-the-year portfolio runway show, which shows off the senior students.”

Designers will make a line of clothing of about four pieces and are required to provide their own runway models for the show.

Kent Student Center Programming has sponsored the event the past two years, but this year ACPB is co-sponsoring the event as well.

In previous years, designers have picked the music their models walked to in the show and designed whatever type of clothes they wanted to. This year’s show features a new twist: a rock theme. The inspiration for the designers’ lines must come from the theme.

There will also be live bands performing at the event to accompany the models as they walk the runway. The two bands performing at the show are Amplexus and This is Exploding.

“So far, every designer has really liked the idea,” said Rachael Shansky, event supervisor for KSC Programming. “I thought there was going to be a problem with them not being able to pick their own music because the bands are playing music this year, and so far every designer has liked that because it takes the weight off the shoulders of them.”

There are going to be three guest judges from Kent State who will be critiquing the designers at the show. The clothes are going to be judged on credibility, uniqueness and how well they go with the theme.

The winner will receive a fashion design book, and the runner-up will also receive an unconfirmed smaller prize.

It will also be a great r‚sum‚ booster for the winner and give all the designers hands-on experience needed for their careers, Shansky said.

“The designers put a lot of work into this and so do the models,” she said. “I think it’s essential that you come out and see what other students around you are doing.”

Attendance at past shows has ranged between 300 and 500 people, Shansky said. This year’s event currently has 16 designers participating.

The event is free for everyone. Anyone interested in participating in the show as a designer should call KSC programming at (330) 672-1169.

Contact fashion reporter Kristen Kotz at [email protected].