Allocation budget not so bleak

Jackie Valley

The Allocations Committee’s budget received a late Christmas present totaling about $16,750 worth of unused allocated funds from student organizations.

At the end of last semester, the budget seemed near depletion – only about $5,000, or 2 percent of the beginning $215,748 budget, left to allocate for spring semester.

Sean Groves, business and finance senator, said the current budget is $14,878 following the allocation of funds for four student organizations – College Republicans, Financial Management Association, International Film Society and the Kent State Feminist Union – in January and February.

Groves said he expected the committee to receive unused funds from Black United Students because of comedian changes in its Homecoming Comedy Tour, but not nine other student organizations.

“As for the other organizations that had money revert back to Allocations, I didn’t expect much to come back, but there are always cases where organizations spend less than budgeted,” he said, adding that the committee can never count on receiving those extra funds.

Student organizations with unused funds

• Black United Students

• All Campus Programming Board

• KSU Anime Society

• Commuter and Off Campus Student Association

• Feminist Union

• International Film Society

• May 4 Task Force

• Kent Stater Aviation Flight Team

• PRIDE! Kent

• SALSA

Groves said the budget appears to be in good shape for the rest of the semester.

“I expect there to be more than enough funds left,” he said. “We’re really starting to get towards the end.

“I don’t foresee us getting hit with any large requests.”

Groves said it is not uncommon for the majority of money to be allocated in the fall because organizations generally request money for the spring in November and December.

So far, the committee has allocated money to 25 student organizations.

BUS was the largest spender – about $63,240 equivalent to nearly 30 percent of the budget – followed by the Financial Management Association, Inter-Greek Programming Board, Kent African Student Association and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

“BUS is usually always the top,” Groves said, noting that BUS received nearly $100,000 in allocated funds for its events last year.

The Allocations Committee will hear one request for funding Friday before it continues the ad hoc process.

Contact student politics reporter Jackie Valley at [email protected].