Twinsburg Campus celebrates name change

Krista DeFini

The Twinsburg Academic Center is 14 miles north of Kent State’s main campus. It opened up as the “Old School” in 1985 and in 2012 was rebuilt and remodeled into Regional Academic Center.

In 2019 the campus officially changed its name to the Twinsburg Academic Center. This year it celebrated the renaming of the campus with a ceremonial ribbon cutting.

“The university felt that including a geographical identity in the name of the Kent State Twinsburg location was important to the community, our students, faculty, and staff,” Twinsburg campus Dean Angela Spalsbury said.

Due to all the signage that needed to be changed, the celebration was postponed until this year, said Julie Every, a psychology professor at the Twinsburg campus. 

“It will definitely help students know which campus they are supposed to go to,” English professor Mahli Mechenbier said.

There is at least one student every semester who shows up to the wrong campus,  Spalsbury said. 

The celebration welcomed Twinsburg Mayor Ted Yates, community members, faculty and students.

Spalsbury mentioned the partnerships that were created between the Kent State regional campus and the city of Twinsburg within the last five years. Each partnership had a representative help cut the ceremonial ribbon. 

Krista DeFini is a regional reporter for Twinsburg and Geauga. Contact her at [email protected].