KSU Students prepare for police officer examination

Jennifer Zemanek

Recalling his childhood, Brendan Moody said whenever he was asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, he changed his answer. One day it would be a photographer for Topps Baseball Cards, the next day — a cowboy. He even said he would like to be a wolf. But those dreams were not chased.

Now a senior justice studies major, Moody made one final decision: a police officer. He is now realizing what it takes to become one.

“I was one of those people who said ‘I want to change the world one person at a time,'” Moody said. “But from a larger perspective, I just want to help. I see what the job takes every day.”

Moody was referring to his mother’s position as a police officer in Columbus.

“Maybe that even factored into my decision,” Moody said. “I respect her, and I respect her occupation.”

Police officers in Kent serve a population of 29,000 residents in the city with an additional 20,000 people from the university.

The city’s Civil Service Commission oversees the rules for matters such as examinations, resignations, appointments, promotions, removals, transfers, layoffs, suspensions, reductions and reinstatements — this includes the police officer examination.

Anna Lucas, the administrative assistant to Kent’s Civil Services Commission, said Kent uses a two-part exam that many cities in Ohio also use.

The exam includes a written exam, which tests verbal and written comprehension skills, and a physical fitness examination. Additional screening also includes a psychological examination, background investigation, polygraph examination, personal interview and a medical examination.

Greg Jurica is another person who knows these requirements by heart.

Jurica, a graduate student studying higher education, administration and student personnel, recently decided to research a different career path — one as a police officer.

“It’s something I have always wanted to do, to serve the community,” Jurica said. “I’ve already done it through teaching and student affairs, but at some point I would like to see the law enforcement side.”

But first, Jurica must pass the examination.

Lucas said in her opinion the hardest part of the examination is the physical fitness portion. The physical fitness examination is separated into five categories: strength, dynamic strength, flexibility, cardiovascular endurance and body composition.

Jurica also said the physical fitness portion of the eligibility process would be the most difficult. He said for any written or verbal test, studying can be done and information can be learned. But as far as physical fitness, there is only so much the body can endure, he said.

Moody’s inspiration to make it through the exam is his goal when he becomes an officer.

“I want more people to see police officers in a more positive light,” Moody said. “People tend to remember their negative experiences with the police, such as speeding tickets, but they forget the positives. That is reason enough to keep me on this track.”

For more information, contact the Civil Services Commission of the City of Kent at (330) 678-8101.

Contact public affairs reporter Jennifer Zemanek at [email protected].