Vegas lights KSU night

Noelle Pennyman

KIC sponsors Flashy’s Palace Casino Night in Eastway’s lounge

Freshman education major Wesley Fisher mulls over his hand while playing Let It Ride poker in the lower Eastway lounge. Students bet chips and could win various prizes. DAVID ANTHONY RANUCCI | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: John Proppe

Gaming tables filled up faster than the roulette wheel could spin last night in Eastway’s lower lounge.

Kent Interhall Council sponsored Flashy’s Palace Casino Night. Fifteen tables were spread across the lounge with crowds of people either seated or waiting to play games.

“I think everybody’s having a good time and that’s really important at any program,” said director of programming John Machingo.

Students played games such as Texas Hold ‘Em, Black Jack, Russian Roulette, Craps, Let it Ride Poker and the Horse Wheel.

From the beginning of the night, all the tables were filled. One new table had to be opened, which filled up within 30 seconds.

The atmosphere was one of concentration and leisure as students placed their bets and watched the table to see who was the winner.

Halfway through the event, the mascot Flash came dressed in a traditional blue toga. He made his way around the table greeting students and watching the games.

Freshman nursing major Katelyn Bair said she was aiming to win the iPod that was being raffled off as a prize. She said she would definitely come to this kind of event again.

“I think it’s nice that they have all these fun activities for a boring Thursday night,” she said.

Bair said she didn’t know what games she was going to play.

“I don’t know how to gamble so probably Black Jack and the wheel,” she said.

KIC provided students with 10,000 chips to start off with for free. Machingo said in an e-mail that students would play for two hours after which they turn in their winnings to earn raffle tickets to win 10 prizes.

The prizes included an iPOD Nano, a Tasco Telescope, a Playstation 2, a 300W Home Theater System, a Mongoose Mountain Bike, a Polaroid Digital Camera, a Portable DVD Player, an MP3 Capable CD Clock Radio, a three-person tent and a Double Travel Coffee Maker. Machingo said KIC bought the prizes for the event.

“We just tried to get a variety of prizes to accommodate everyone,” he said.

Sophomore economics major Greg Bassetti said he played Texas Hold ‘Em for 45 minutes. Afterwards, he lost all of his chips and was no longer able to play. He said if he could, he would play Craps.

“I was trying to get that PS2,” he said.

Bassetti said he liked the event and would come again if he could.

“We play poker all the time at home,” Bassetti said.

The KIC executive board served as dealers for the night.

Machingo said KIC usually has similar casino nights, but Flashy’s Palace had more games. KIC rented the equipment from a location in Pennsylvania.

“It’s like any program; it’s bigger and better,” he said.

Contact room and board reporter Noelle Pennyman at [email protected].