Flashes take care of home

Deanna Stevens

Sophomore forward Julian Sulinger goes up for a basket as Detroit-Mercy sophomore forward Chris Hayes tries to block during Saturday’s game at the M.A.C. Center. The Flashes defeated the Titans 61-48 and will play Temple at home on Tuesday at 7 p.m. AMAND

Credit: Amanda Sowards

The Kent State men’s basketball team rebounded from its first loss of the season with a 61-48 victory over Detroit Mercy in the home opener.

The Flashes (3-1) defended the M.A.C Center by performing well on defense. They held the Titans (1-2) to less than 40 percent field goal shooting for the game.

“I was proud of our defensive effort the whole game,” Kent State coach Jim Christian said. “We held (Detroit Mercy) to 38 percent field goal shooting for the game, 36 percent in the second half, that’s probably as good as you can ask for.”

The Flashes also executed well offensively. A 16-2 Kent State run to end the first half gave the Flashes a comfortable 36-25 lead at the half, which the Titans were unable to come back from after the break.

The Flashes finished the game with three players in double figures. Freshman guard Rodriquez Sherman had 14 points and shot 6-of-9 from the floor to lead Kent State.

Guard Armon Gates, the lone senior who played for the Flashes, added 12 points and eight rebounds to the effort. The junior forward also had 12 points, 10 of which came in the first half.

Detroit Mercy was able to keep the game close in the first half with key shots from behind the arch. Junior guard Brandon Cotton went 2-of-4 from three, and led the Titans with 14 points. Fellow junior guard Jon Goode hit three 3-pointers in the first half alone. He finished the game with 11 points and 3 assists.

Kent State senior guard Omni Smith and freshman guard Chris Singletary did not play because they were suspended due to an unidentified violation of team policy. Smith will also miss the Flashes match up against Temple.

Contact men’s basketball reporter Deanna Stevens at [email protected].