To dress up or not to dress up?

Brittany Moseley

The typical outfit for college students is whatever is clean. That usually includes sweatpants, a wrinkled T-shirt and the staple in any college wardrobe – the hoodie. There are some students, however, who prefer to spend a little more time on their appearance.

“I get dressed up for class because I feel more awake and prepared to learn,” said Allison Courtney, senior integrated life science and English major. “To me, it seems like it takes the same amount of time to put on jeans and a sweater as it does sweatpants and a hoodie. If I’m dressed up, I feel so much more put together and feel like I make a better impression on my professors.”

Nikki Hroncich, senior integrated language arts major, said she started dressing up for class spring semester of last year. She decided to dress the way she would once she becomes a teacher.

“I am an education major, and I figured I should start dressing the way I’m going to in front of my students,” Hroncich said.

The self-proclaimed “queen of the sweater set,” said she typically wears khakis or black slacks, dress shoes and a nice shirt. If she wears a skirt, it has to be below the knee.

“My style has gotten more conservative in the last two years,” Hroncich said. “I would feel weird wearing things like tank tops or short skirts now.”

It’s even more important for Hroncich to get used to dressing up because she starts student teaching next semester.

“I always ask, ‘Would I be able to wear this in front of my students?'” Hroncich said.

Justin Vela, senior integrated health studies major, said he has been dressing up since he started college, and even though he doesn’t think his professors notice it, he doesn’t plan on changing his clothing choices.

“There are just too many students for a professor to notice everyone,” he said. “Dressing up makes me feel confident going into the day, like I can handle anything.”

A typical outfit for him is nice jeans or shorts, meaning no holes or rips, a golf shirt or a button-down, complete with either sandals or nice sneakers.

Hroncich on the other hand, does think professors notice students who put on something nicer than sweatpants.

“Professors look at you like, ‘hey this person actually put some effort into their appearance today,'” Hroncich said.

Like Vela, Courtney said she doesn’t plan on changing her style.

“My friends say that my signature look is pearls and big sunglasses. I also love high heels because they’re stylish,” Courtney said. “I’ve always been a girlie girl, while I was growing up and all through high school, so I wouldn’t change that just because I’m in college now.”

For those looking for suggestions on where to buy nice clothes for class, Hroncich recommends Kohl’s because it’s “conservative yet trendy.” Vela’s favorite stores include Gap, Express for Men and Buckle.

The majority of college students will continue to wear their trusted sweatpants and hoodies, but a select few will continue to put more effort into their appearance, because as Hroncich said, they know they stand out.

Contact features correspondent Brittany Moseley at [email protected].