‘Soul Food Night’ delivers Southern cuisine, inviting atmosphere

Noelle Pennyman

Members of the gospel choir, Voices of Testimony, sing in harmony last evening at Eastway Cafe. Students enjoyed the music while eating the soul food dinner prepared by Dining Services. BRIAN MARKS | DAILY KENT STATER

Credit: John Proppe

The smell of fried chicken and barbecued ribs attracted waves of people yesterday at Soul Food Night, sponsored by Dining Services.

People crowded into the Eastway Cafe to enjoy the food and hear the campus gospel choir, Voices of Testimony, sing.

“It’s one of the most popular dinners,” said Eugene Walters, marketing manager of University Dining Services. Soul Food Night is held once every semester because of its popular demand.

Walters said the event is different than any other dinner served.

“It’s less theme oriented and more food oriented,” he said.

Walters said the staff of Eastway Cafe had been preparing food since Monday.

Sophomore nursing major Narkita Burrell, who sings in Voices of Testimony, said she loves singing at the Soul Food Night.

“I think it’s a good way to minister to the people on campus,” she said.

Burrell said more members join the choir after the Soul Food event because people remember and recognize them.

After the choir performed, music from artists such as Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and R. Kelly filled the dining hall.

The food served included fried chicken, macaroni and cheese, corn bread, sweet potatoes, green beans and more.

Dominic Ali, junior political science major, said he didn’t know about the event but was excited to try the food. Ali said the event is a good idea because it is different from the normal dinner events.

“It appeals to a diverse group of students instead of the majority,” he said.

It was hard to find an open table as students gathered to laugh and catch up with friends.

Burrell said she loves the event because it reminds her of a reunion.

“I’ve never seen this amount of people on any other night,” she said.

Sophomore nursing major Sarah Lenox said she has been to every Soul Food Night since coming to Kent State. She said it reminds people of being at home with their family and friends.

Contact room and board reporter Noelle Pennyman at [email protected].