Allocations approves request for comedy show

Kali Price

The Allocations Committee had a few problems with Black United Students’ request for $47,927 for its Homecoming Comedy Show.

The request, which was approved, was turned in one business day after the committee’s one-week deadline and was found by some committee members to be inexcusable.

“The comedians are booked through the Black Comedy Tour,” BUS President Sasha Parker said in response to questions asked by Sean Groves, Undergraduate Student Senate senator for business and finance. “The issue we ran into was that the venue was smaller.”

The Homecoming Comedy Show is set for two shows at 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. on Oct. 13 at Carol A. Cartwright Hall. Comedians expected to perform are Kevin Hart, Lavell Crawford and Ricky Smiley.

Some committee members found problems with approving a late request.

“Once we approve a program like this, we open a whole can of worms,” said Amy Groya, USS senator for governmental affairs.

But others disagreed, noting that the event has been successful in past years.

“By not funding this program, we would be leaving that date open,” said Christopher Taylor, All Campus Programming Board vice president.

The request was approved under the stipulation that BUS would try to negotiate a lower price or find a similar “A-class” comedian.

The committee also approved requests from the Delta Zeta sorority, Harambee and the KSU Student Dance Education Organization.

Delta Zeta requested $3,000 to bring Randy Haverson’s alcohol awareness program, “Party Time,” to campus Oct. 17 at Carol A. Cartwright Hall.

The event is co-sponsored by the Office of Student Health Promotions. Haverson has spoken at other colleges, such as Miami University of Ohio, Indiana University and Notre Dame.

Harambee’s request for $4,616 was approved to hold several Open Mic nights throughout the school year.

The KSU Student Dance Organization’s request for $1,000 was approved to send five representatives from the group to the National Dance Education Organization/American Dance Therapy Association Conference in Long Beach, Calif.

Amanda Clark, president of the Student Dance Organization, said the attendees plan to use what they learn at the conference to offer classes to Kent State students on World Dance Day in April.

Contact student politics reporter Kali Price at [email protected].