Planned Parenthood holds annual open house

Melody Wachowski

Refreshments, games, giveaways and condoms.

Planned Parenthood of Portage County’s first annual open house will provide these along with information about safe sex and birth control options.

The open house will be held from 8 to 10 p.m. tomorrow at the Portage County Planned Parenthood office at 152 E. Main St. in Kent.

“The event seems like the perfect way for Planned Parenthood to welcome new and returning Kent State students into the 2006-07 school year,” said Lisette Anderson, a community educator for Planned Parenthood.

Anderson and other Planned Parenthood community educators have planned a “fun and educational get-together for couples and groups of friends,” she said.

Prizes, which include love and relationship enhancement gifts, such as condoms and a candy garter belt, will be given away as well, Anderson said.

Sue Hirt, director of medical services for Planned Parenthood of Portage County, said Planned Parenthood is a safe and reliable health care alternative for female students.

Planned Parenthood offices, such as the one in downtown Kent, offer optional pelvic exams to female students, though the exams are not mandatory to receive regulatory birth control or emergency contraception.

Hirt said the exams are not required because some students who come in have just had an exam, don’t want one or simply can’t afford one.

The Portage County Planned Parenthood office has offered Plan B, a form of emergency contraception, since 2001. Planned Parenthood is currently among the few places where Plan B is available. It will be distributed over-the-counter starting this fall.

Contact social services reporter Melody Wachowski at [email protected].