New help center dedicated to WebCT problems

Daniel Bott

Getting help for computer problems at Kent State is now a lot easier. As long as it is related to Vista.

A large increase in the use of WebCT’s Vista led to a new help center designed to deal exclusively with Vista-related issues.

Last fall 309 courses were using Vista, said Lead Systems Analyst Christine Shih. This number now is more than 1,000.

This increased usage led Information Technology Manager Carol Moore to launch the Vista Help Center. Moore said the idea started as “more or less a brainstorm to extend the help to faculty and students.”

The center recently opened in Moulton Hall, and staff members are available from Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m.

Moore said the center will be for technical issues, such as if students are having problems uploading files.

“The Vista Help Center is not replacing the Helpdesk,” Moore said. “We’re trying to be an extension of the Helpdesk.”

Eric Walch, the help center’s WebCT technician and a senior computer science major, said the most common request from lecturers was to add content to their courses, such as quizzes and grades.

Requests from students have been rare.

“I don’t think students know (about the center),” Walch said.

Senior biology major Lori Pacanovsky, whose used Vista in several classes, said she was unaware of the center. She said the system was good overall. However, she said she has had some problems, signing in and allowing pop-ups when visiting another Web site.

Contact technology and information services reporter Daniel Bott at [email protected].